Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Let the Learning Begin!


We have used American Sign Language (ASL) with our kids (bio and adopted) when they were learning how to communicate with us. But let's be real honest...we only knew the signs for "more," "please," "milk," "thank you," "mama," "dada," "I love you," "yellow," "cat," "dog," "poop," and "all done."

As I mentioned in our first post, we have a wonderful friend who is a sign language interpreter. Today her and her children and a friend of their daughter's (all three kids I taught in kindergarten) came over to visit. We had our first sign language lesson and I think I can officially say I have learned a handful of vocabulary words, including: home, house, thirsty, hungry, toilet/bathroom, cousin (male and female form), aunt, uncle, grandma, grandpa, niece, nephew, book, read, no, yes, wrong, hot, cold, warm, stand up, sit, chair, hurt, and the sign for all words including- great, awesome, wonderful, etc./this sign also means Sunday. I am sure there were more, but those are the ones I remember and there were definitely some that I was taught that I will need reviewed! It was fun and exciting though! Rick and I also learned a lot about our State School for the Deaf, how people sign people's names, colleges for the deaf, and a little bit about cochlear implants vs. signing only. Thank you, Anissa for this wonderful lesson and day! We are so fortunate to have you in our lives!!


2 comments:

  1. Your going to do great! Lena is one lucky little girl to have YOU as her mommy.

    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Signing Times video and website have some nice resources videos and info.

    Good luck and I am SO jealous. I would love to adopt a deaf child. Our family learned sign language (basics) when we brought home our (then) almost 3 yrs old son home from China. Our son has a cleft lip and pallet and we thought SL would be a great transition language - it was. We still use SL around the house and in church to communicate quietly. ;p

    Good luck to you. I can't wait to follow your journey.
    Kelly O

    ReplyDelete