Saturday, November 7, 2015

We Made it to Hong Kong!

We woke up Friday morning, November 6th...after very little sleep (for Rick and I).  Our bags were packed!

We got the kids ready for school and got our bags in the car by 7:30 a.m.  We said our goodbyes to Jayce and Rowan- Rick's mom stayed with them at the house.  Then we headed to drop the four bigger boys off at school and said our goodbyes to them and Rick's dad there.  Rick's sister, Renee, came down with us to the airport so we had someone to drive our van back home.   Believe it or not, we got there too early!  That's a first!  We got there at about 9:30 a.m. and couldn't really check in until 10:30 a.m.  for our 2:05 p.m. flight.

The staff at check in were great though.  After a quick line through security (again, that NEVER happens and is SO very different than my experience with the trip to China I took in September) we found our gate and got some lunch.  We were hoping we could see a local family coming in with two boys they just adopted from China.  There is a chance they were even on the plane we took to China.  But we couldn't see them because they came off the plane and headed straight down a hallway to immigration.  I hope they are now safe and sound at home and doing well!

Our plane just came in!

Can you tell that they are just a little excited?

Time to get on the plane!

Got our neck pillows and headsets...we are set to go!

Rick sat right across the isle from us.

Time to land.  We are officially 14 hours ahead of those of you on central time.

Our flight was long- over 15 hours, but pretty uneventful!  The staff was nice and the service was good.  We had a very good experience!  We even had no line at customs/immigration when we got into Hong Kong- another first!  We got our bags and went and waited for the airport shuttle.
 In the hotel shuttle heading to the hotel we'd stay at one night in Hong Kong.

 All ready for bed!  We put Vicks on them both because Evan seems to have a cold and a cough that we are hoping will go away and not go around to everyone else.   We'd love prayers for that- he coughed a lot on the plane and last night.
They were up and ready to go by 4 a.m. so shortly after five, the three of us got dressed and headed down to the lobby to give Rick a little quiet time.  We slept a bit on the plane and he really hadn't.

Views from the hotel lobby window as the sun was coming up.

Today, Sunday November 8th, we will be picked up at 9 a.m. and taken to the train station in Shenzhen, China- not far from here...also the birth city of our son, Reid!  We will take a high speed train from there to Nanning, Guangxi- the capital of the province where our girls are from and where we will stay from Sunday night through Friday afternoon.

More from Nanning...SOON!  We're so close now!  Thank you for your prayers and for following our journey!


  1. Yayyy! So excited to see your with your girls!

  2. Very happy to hear everything is going good for the family - can't wait to meet our new grand daughters.

    Mom & Dad